Skip to main content

Fort Worth's Community Gardens

Cruising through Fort Worth's south side I passed a sign that read "Fairmount Community Garden" with a list of sponsors below it.

What is a community garden? I wondered. According to the American Community Gardening Association (ACGA) website, it is any plot of land gardened by a group of people. It can be urban, suburban and it can have flowers or vegetables.

Located on 5th just across from Fairmount Park, Fort Worth's neighborhood garden has 76 leased plots, director Susan Harper said.

Harper said Andrew Schoolmaster, TCU's dean of liberal arts, and Paul Paine, Fort Worth South, Inc. president, approached her in 2008 to start the garden. It took them two years to get everything together because it was the first and only community garden of its kind in Fort Worth. There was some red tape.

Schoolmaster (what a name for a dean) is an urban geographer, so it made sense to him that Fort Worth needed a spot like this.


The community garden has a few plots for children where parents can educate them on nutrition and gardening. It is also a source of food security for the underprivileged families in the area. For a $35 annual fee a family can lease a plot. This price includes mulch and water to take care of their veggies.

Community gardens are also great for urban renewal — it takes an empty space and makes it attractive again. And it truly is pretty, which is why it must have won first place in social revitalization at the Neighborhood of the Year Conference. Harper was very proud to share this with me, as she should be. The garden has only been open for a little over a year, has an award and a waiting list.

Thanks to a comment on this blog I learned several community gardens are sprouting in Fort Worth. A Tarrant Area Food Bank website has a list of local vegetable gardens you should check out! It sounds like they have a lot of great things going on for the community.

You don't have to live in the Fairmount community to participate in this urban experience. Harper said people from TCU area, Mistletoe, Ryan Place and other areas have leased plots. If you would like to get on a waiting list or know more about the garden, call Susan Harper at 817.721-7223.



Fairmount Community Garden

The Sign

Fairmount Community Garden
p.s. I should note there are community gardens in many other parts of the metroplex, but this is the only one in Fort Worth proper. Check out Dallas' Community Gardens of Oak Cliff website. Coppell has them too!

Comments

  1. The Tarrant Area Food Bank runs this great website about Community Gardens that includes a list of a few others around town. It is a work in progress so keep checking back for updates!
    http://communitygardensdfw.org/

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Little Lilly Sushi

Although it may look the same as Fort Worth's original sushi joint,  Little Lilly Sushi is a different animal (or fish) in a novel way. diced tuna, sushi rice, shiso, sake-soy, mountain yam and wasabi It's in the same location and has the same chummy atmosphere as the former Hui Chuan but a crisp carte du jour. The 24-year-old blooming chef, Jesus Garcia, created the menu and plays with it weekly to keep his job amusing and see what works for his customers. And trust me, it's DELICIOUS. So good that it inspired me to write on my food blog for the first time since I had my baby. He's 11 months old. While there are a few items that stay on the menu (like my favorite Hamachi Zest roll), he adds treats every week to keep things interesting. Check out their Facebook page under the "current fish selection" album to see what's fresh and what Jesus is experimenting with this week. If ever confused by the contents, Chef Garcia explains all of his crea...

Weekend on Caddo Lake

T he mysterious tall trees Caddo Lake is known for remain hidden in the early morning darkness. Our fishing guide, Billy Carter , is supposed to meet us at 7 a.m., but the sun has yet to rise. The tired family gathers around the breakfast table grabbing Marie Calendar’s cinnamon rolls and Jimmy Dean sausage biscuits discussing our potential catches for the day. As the sun peeks through the cypress forrest, I remember how uniquely beautiful it is here. Rumored to be five hundred years old, bald cypress trees grow 60 feet out of the water. The angelic Spanish moss delicately hangs from the trees’ limbs — it doesn’t rustle in the wind like leaves do, rather it quietly dances and floats like individual notes in a harmonious composition. In the dark when the wind is still, they look like stalagmites in a cave. Legendary Billy Carter Billy pulls up a little after 7, and six of us pile into the boat. Billy’s roots run as deep as the ring-dated 400-year-old bald cypress trees that tower ...

Big Sky No. 2, parts 1+ 2

  By Jocelyn Tatum   I have an affinity for all things that cause me to look up — mostly trees and clouds. When I walk the dogs or go for a long run, I often trip over something because I am admiring tree limbs reaching toward the ever-changing clouds, or the way sunlight plays with both.    Komorebi is a Japanese word that doesn't have an English translation, which means the way light travels through the leaves of trees. I wonder if there is a word for the way light shines through the clouds. Fall Gallery Night 2019, I stumbled upon a magnanimous canvas of clouds with the sun piercing through. It knocked me back. I took a picture just to admire it from home but walked away knowing I would never allow myself to get it. A year later, it occurred to me that I still think about that art. The strange state of things and lots of extra time at home has encouraged me to do things I never thought possible. And I don't understand the correlation between the pandemic and my n...