Skip to main content

Bistro Louise ... and other fantastic brunch places

At my age (29) it is so difficult to get a group of girls together, so I've organized a brunch at Bistro Louise this Sunday with six of my good friends. And yes, I started rounding them up weeks ago to make sure it happened.

Why did I choose such an expensive place? Because it's worth every penny of the $27.95 they charge for the extravagant buffet. Here's why:

I went there a few weeks ago for the first time and it was the best brunch experience I've had in Fort Worth. I say "experience" because it's also about atmosphere and your convivial cohorts.

You start with the exotic and fresh, imported farm cheeses and hors d'oeuvres. After a plate of the rich and creamy cheese I felt like Meg Ryan in the movie French Kiss (it wasn't pretty). It truly was memorable because that cheese was so good. And the hors d'oeuvres include things like mushroom tarts, shrimp tostadas, asparagus ham and cheese strudels, spinach galettes and more. I managed to fit one of each on my plate, and then went back for more before I even hit the main course. As comedian Chris Rock would say, "it's the two plates of food I eat before I eat my food." Mr. Rock, how would I explain that to a Third World country?  Ugh. But it was so good.

If that's how the meal started, then I don't even need to tell you how good the rest was. But I will indulge so I can revel in the memory. The assortment of roasted chicken, quail and the tea-smoked duck were so tender they fell apart on my plate. She also had a chicken chilaquiles that melted in my mouth. The only other time I've had it this good was at Cochineal in Marfa, Texas (Cochineal's is the absolute best ... but more later on dining in Marfa).

Atmosphere is almost as important to me as the food, and this cozy cottage takes you out of Fort Worth and into another world. When you pull up to Bistro Louise it is a little off-putting that it's in a strip mall surrounded by mortgage-related companies. But when you enter the building it's another story.

After the brunch (a few days later): The price of the brunch did not include bottomless mimosas. They were $7 each. The food was good, but they kept running out of items this time around. I would have to keep checking in to see if they had something that looked good, thus I never got to try the crab cakes or the soufflé. The time with my friends was awesome. We laughed so loud telling old stories that I feared we would be asked to leave ... but we didn't.

OTHER AMAZING BRUNCH PLACES that I've tried
(Click on name for brunch menu)
* Taverna
* Lambert's
* Café Modern
* Jazz Café (byob)

Places I want to try for brunch that I've already tried other meals and were great!
* Buttons
* Cantina Laredo
* Tillman's
* Park Hill Café
* Fred's

Places I've never been to at all but want to try.
* Cowtown Diner
* Cat City Grill

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Little Lilly Sushi

Although it may look the same as Fort Worth's original sushi joint,  Little Lilly Sushi is a different animal (or fish) in a novel way. diced tuna, sushi rice, shiso, sake-soy, mountain yam and wasabi It's in the same location and has the same chummy atmosphere as the former Hui Chuan but a crisp carte du jour. The 24-year-old blooming chef, Jesus Garcia, created the menu and plays with it weekly to keep his job amusing and see what works for his customers. And trust me, it's DELICIOUS. So good that it inspired me to write on my food blog for the first time since I had my baby. He's 11 months old. While there are a few items that stay on the menu (like my favorite Hamachi Zest roll), he adds treats every week to keep things interesting. Check out their Facebook page under the "current fish selection" album to see what's fresh and what Jesus is experimenting with this week. If ever confused by the contents, Chef Garcia explains all of his crea...

Weekend on Caddo Lake

T he mysterious tall trees Caddo Lake is known for remain hidden in the early morning darkness. Our fishing guide, Billy Carter , is supposed to meet us at 7 a.m., but the sun has yet to rise. The tired family gathers around the breakfast table grabbing Marie Calendar’s cinnamon rolls and Jimmy Dean sausage biscuits discussing our potential catches for the day. As the sun peeks through the cypress forrest, I remember how uniquely beautiful it is here. Rumored to be five hundred years old, bald cypress trees grow 60 feet out of the water. The angelic Spanish moss delicately hangs from the trees’ limbs — it doesn’t rustle in the wind like leaves do, rather it quietly dances and floats like individual notes in a harmonious composition. In the dark when the wind is still, they look like stalagmites in a cave. Legendary Billy Carter Billy pulls up a little after 7, and six of us pile into the boat. Billy’s roots run as deep as the ring-dated 400-year-old bald cypress trees that tower ...

Big Sky No. 2, parts 1+ 2

  By Jocelyn Tatum   I have an affinity for all things that cause me to look up — mostly trees and clouds. When I walk the dogs or go for a long run, I often trip over something because I am admiring tree limbs reaching toward the ever-changing clouds, or the way sunlight plays with both.    Komorebi is a Japanese word that doesn't have an English translation, which means the way light travels through the leaves of trees. I wonder if there is a word for the way light shines through the clouds. Fall Gallery Night 2019, I stumbled upon a magnanimous canvas of clouds with the sun piercing through. It knocked me back. I took a picture just to admire it from home but walked away knowing I would never allow myself to get it. A year later, it occurred to me that I still think about that art. The strange state of things and lots of extra time at home has encouraged me to do things I never thought possible. And I don't understand the correlation between the pandemic and my n...