Skip to main content

A Day Trip to France (I meant Dallas)








 My friend and I both teach thus both get to celebrate spring break. She lives in Dallas, and I never get to see her so I decided to drive to Dallas and find a spot where we could sit on the patio for hours, eat good food and sip on Chardonnay as we dive into what’s going on in today’s world. I had a place in mind already.

I lived in Dallas last year. A few evenings a week my husband and I would jog the Katy Trail and pass by this place called Toulouse. I can’t describe the herb-frites-butter smell that exited out the back of that building and interrupted my runs, but was offensive and delightful at the same time. I envied the people who dallied on the bustling patio for long hours drinking wine and solving the world’s problems while I jogged past in pain. My friend and I were going there, and the jogging attire was left at home. 

There was one tiny table left on the patio, which seems to be the most popular spot in the place. The atmosphere inside and out felt European (for lack of better words).We each ordered a fresh, cold glass of the Acacia Chardonnay and perused a menu full of items like Trout Almandine, quiche, Dover Sole Meuniere, Filet Au Poivre et Cognac, crispy calamari and mussels prepared five different ways — the type of stuff you eat before a sieste.

I ordered the Mussels Mariniere prepared with garlic, white wine, butter and shallots. My friend ordered the bacon, asparagus quiche with a side salad. We both tried each other’s food, and I can say it was all wonderful. Her quiche was piping hot, had just the right amount of salty flavor and was fluffy. The mussels were merely warm, but carried the flavor of the buttery bath they marinated in. My friend isn’t a mussel person, so when she tried a large one I was worried she was going to lose it. She didn’t. Whew.

Even better than the food was the French bistro atmosphere and great company. The hours slipped passed us as we slipped into another world. So if you ever decide to take a day trip to Dallas, I recommend slipping away to Toulouse on Knox Street with a good friend. 


p.s. The shopping on that street isn't bad either. 


Comments

  1. So well said. Whether one lives in Dallas or Fort Worth, a trip to Toulouse with good company is well worth it!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Little Lilly Sushi

Although it may look the same as Fort Worth's original sushi joint,  Little Lilly Sushi is a different animal (or fish) in a novel way. diced tuna, sushi rice, shiso, sake-soy, mountain yam and wasabi It's in the same location and has the same chummy atmosphere as the former Hui Chuan but a crisp carte du jour. The 24-year-old blooming chef, Jesus Garcia, created the menu and plays with it weekly to keep his job amusing and see what works for his customers. And trust me, it's DELICIOUS. So good that it inspired me to write on my food blog for the first time since I had my baby. He's 11 months old. While there are a few items that stay on the menu (like my favorite Hamachi Zest roll), he adds treats every week to keep things interesting. Check out their Facebook page under the "current fish selection" album to see what's fresh and what Jesus is experimenting with this week. If ever confused by the contents, Chef Garcia explains all of his crea...

Weekend on Caddo Lake

T he mysterious tall trees Caddo Lake is known for remain hidden in the early morning darkness. Our fishing guide, Billy Carter , is supposed to meet us at 7 a.m., but the sun has yet to rise. The tired family gathers around the breakfast table grabbing Marie Calendar’s cinnamon rolls and Jimmy Dean sausage biscuits discussing our potential catches for the day. As the sun peeks through the cypress forrest, I remember how uniquely beautiful it is here. Rumored to be five hundred years old, bald cypress trees grow 60 feet out of the water. The angelic Spanish moss delicately hangs from the trees’ limbs — it doesn’t rustle in the wind like leaves do, rather it quietly dances and floats like individual notes in a harmonious composition. In the dark when the wind is still, they look like stalagmites in a cave. Legendary Billy Carter Billy pulls up a little after 7, and six of us pile into the boat. Billy’s roots run as deep as the ring-dated 400-year-old bald cypress trees that tower ...

Big Sky No. 2, parts 1+ 2

  By Jocelyn Tatum   I have an affinity for all things that cause me to look up — mostly trees and clouds. When I walk the dogs or go for a long run, I often trip over something because I am admiring tree limbs reaching toward the ever-changing clouds, or the way sunlight plays with both.    Komorebi is a Japanese word that doesn't have an English translation, which means the way light travels through the leaves of trees. I wonder if there is a word for the way light shines through the clouds. Fall Gallery Night 2019, I stumbled upon a magnanimous canvas of clouds with the sun piercing through. It knocked me back. I took a picture just to admire it from home but walked away knowing I would never allow myself to get it. A year later, it occurred to me that I still think about that art. The strange state of things and lots of extra time at home has encouraged me to do things I never thought possible. And I don't understand the correlation between the pandemic and my n...