Skip to main content

"The Ethicist" Visits Fort Worth


I think we can all agree that the massacres in Cambodia, Rwanda and the German Holocaust were wrong. But not every ethical question is as clear, and that's where Randy Cohen's New York Time's column "The Ethicist" came in. 

Is it ever OK to lie to your child? What if you're protecting him/her? Cohen tells a group of Cowtown gals last week, yes, it is OK sometimes. 

How important are ethics in today's society when Wall Street giants are dumping on Main Street midgets, Northern Africa's leaders are being exposed and politicians private lives seem more and more inconsistent with their lives of public service?

Cohen helped keep ethics relevant in today's secular world for 12 years, but he isn't actually an ethicist by training. He has never received a degree in philosophy or psychology. Rather he was a three-time, Emmy-award winning writer for the Letterman Show and funny guy.

"I was an accidental ethicist," Cohen said. "Cat Fancy magazine isn't written by a cat."

But I think those who read his column every Sunday at the breakfast table with their family would say he has helped explain why some things should or shouldn't happen. The lack of credentials may have worked to his advantage — he was able to lean on experts for advice, remain humble and approach each situation with an open mind. The word he used was "raw."

He said he typically didn't need to tell people what was the right or wrong thing to do, rather his job was to tell them why they shouldn't do things like shoot their dog because it barks all night and urinates on couches. People generally have an instinctual knowledge about what they should do, but he said they need help to understand how they got there.

Cohen said he never heard from giants such as Bernie Madoff in all of his years as "the ethicist." He said those who needed the most ethical advice never usually ask.

"The people most in need of being beaten up are always enormous," he said. The room roared with laughter. It's so true.

 The New York Times gave the columnist's job to new writer a mere two weeks ago after twelve years clearing up muddy issues for people all over the world. But before Cohen moves on to his next chapter, he came to Fort Worth March 11 to speak to a Fort Worth group called the Lecture Foundation.

I got to meet Cohen after the speech and ask him a few questions about ethics. As a philosophy major I studied ethics a bit and really enjoyed his speech. I enjoy that I could have this intellectual experience in Cowtown thanks to the Lecture Foundation!

Comments

  1. I wish I would have known he was in town, I liked his article in the Times.

    I added your blog link to F&FW's "Good Local Websites."

    Good luck.

    Ciao.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Little Lilly Sushi

Although it may look the same as Fort Worth's original sushi joint,  Little Lilly Sushi is a different animal (or fish) in a novel way. diced tuna, sushi rice, shiso, sake-soy, mountain yam and wasabi It's in the same location and has the same chummy atmosphere as the former Hui Chuan but a crisp carte du jour. The 24-year-old blooming chef, Jesus Garcia, created the menu and plays with it weekly to keep his job amusing and see what works for his customers. And trust me, it's DELICIOUS. So good that it inspired me to write on my food blog for the first time since I had my baby. He's 11 months old. While there are a few items that stay on the menu (like my favorite Hamachi Zest roll), he adds treats every week to keep things interesting. Check out their Facebook page under the "current fish selection" album to see what's fresh and what Jesus is experimenting with this week. If ever confused by the contents, Chef Garcia explains all of his crea...

Weekend on Caddo Lake

T he mysterious tall trees Caddo Lake is known for remain hidden in the early morning darkness. Our fishing guide, Billy Carter , is supposed to meet us at 7 a.m., but the sun has yet to rise. The tired family gathers around the breakfast table grabbing Marie Calendar’s cinnamon rolls and Jimmy Dean sausage biscuits discussing our potential catches for the day. As the sun peeks through the cypress forrest, I remember how uniquely beautiful it is here. Rumored to be five hundred years old, bald cypress trees grow 60 feet out of the water. The angelic Spanish moss delicately hangs from the trees’ limbs — it doesn’t rustle in the wind like leaves do, rather it quietly dances and floats like individual notes in a harmonious composition. In the dark when the wind is still, they look like stalagmites in a cave. Legendary Billy Carter Billy pulls up a little after 7, and six of us pile into the boat. Billy’s roots run as deep as the ring-dated 400-year-old bald cypress trees that tower ...

Big Sky No. 2, parts 1+ 2

  By Jocelyn Tatum   I have an affinity for all things that cause me to look up — mostly trees and clouds. When I walk the dogs or go for a long run, I often trip over something because I am admiring tree limbs reaching toward the ever-changing clouds, or the way sunlight plays with both.    Komorebi is a Japanese word that doesn't have an English translation, which means the way light travels through the leaves of trees. I wonder if there is a word for the way light shines through the clouds. Fall Gallery Night 2019, I stumbled upon a magnanimous canvas of clouds with the sun piercing through. It knocked me back. I took a picture just to admire it from home but walked away knowing I would never allow myself to get it. A year later, it occurred to me that I still think about that art. The strange state of things and lots of extra time at home has encouraged me to do things I never thought possible. And I don't understand the correlation between the pandemic and my n...