Skip to main content

There's Nothing French About Fort Worth's Paris Coffee Shop


Nestled at the tail end of the newly trendy Magnolia Street in Fort Worth is the old and not-so-trendy Paris Coffee Shop. The diner is known for its old fashioned, home-style breakfast and lunches. It has stayed true to its original ambiance (minus the cigarette smoke) for as long as I can remember, and I’ve been going there since I was a little girl in the 80s.

The place is always packed on Saturday mornings. A long line inevitably forms inside, but don’t let that deter you — the hostess manages the seating arrangements like the Swiss manage their train system. In other words, the line moves fast.

After we were seated I looked at the open room of eclectic patrons and wondered how many people they serve breakfast to every Saturday. So I asked. The owner’s wife, who works the room with a coffee pot in each hand, went back into the kitchen and asked her husband for the golden numbers. He serves about 500 people and goes through roughly 120 dozen eggs on an average Saturday morning. That is 1,440 eggs, folks.


And I don’t remember a time when one of those eggs wasn’t prepared to perfection. Side note: It’s hard to find a place that doesn’t look at you funny when you order fried eggs cooked medium well. They get it there. All of the food is great at Paris. The huge omelets are served with crispy edges and filled with creamy processed American cheese. No Gruyere, brie, goat cheese or feta here!

If the owner isn’t on the floor visiting with his loyal patrons, it’s because he’s in the back baking his renowned pies and other popular goods. He’s always there working and his warm and familiar face is definitely part of the experience.

Next time you’re in the south side of Fort Worth, turn onto Magnolia, drive past the modish and swanky bistros and stop at the modest Paris Coffee Shop. They also serve lunch during the week if you’re ever in the mood for collard greens and fried chicken. There’s nothing French about the place.

Comments

  1. I love Paris Coffee Shop! It's one of the many places I miss in Fort Worth!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Little Lilly Sushi

Although it may look the same as Fort Worth's original sushi joint,  Little Lilly Sushi is a different animal (or fish) in a novel way. diced tuna, sushi rice, shiso, sake-soy, mountain yam and wasabi It's in the same location and has the same chummy atmosphere as the former Hui Chuan but a crisp carte du jour. The 24-year-old blooming chef, Jesus Garcia, created the menu and plays with it weekly to keep his job amusing and see what works for his customers. And trust me, it's DELICIOUS. So good that it inspired me to write on my food blog for the first time since I had my baby. He's 11 months old. While there are a few items that stay on the menu (like my favorite Hamachi Zest roll), he adds treats every week to keep things interesting. Check out their Facebook page under the "current fish selection" album to see what's fresh and what Jesus is experimenting with this week. If ever confused by the contents, Chef Garcia explains all of his crea...

Weekend on Caddo Lake

T he mysterious tall trees Caddo Lake is known for remain hidden in the early morning darkness. Our fishing guide, Billy Carter , is supposed to meet us at 7 a.m., but the sun has yet to rise. The tired family gathers around the breakfast table grabbing Marie Calendar’s cinnamon rolls and Jimmy Dean sausage biscuits discussing our potential catches for the day. As the sun peeks through the cypress forrest, I remember how uniquely beautiful it is here. Rumored to be five hundred years old, bald cypress trees grow 60 feet out of the water. The angelic Spanish moss delicately hangs from the trees’ limbs — it doesn’t rustle in the wind like leaves do, rather it quietly dances and floats like individual notes in a harmonious composition. In the dark when the wind is still, they look like stalagmites in a cave. Legendary Billy Carter Billy pulls up a little after 7, and six of us pile into the boat. Billy’s roots run as deep as the ring-dated 400-year-old bald cypress trees that tower ...

Big Sky No. 2, parts 1+ 2

  By Jocelyn Tatum   I have an affinity for all things that cause me to look up — mostly trees and clouds. When I walk the dogs or go for a long run, I often trip over something because I am admiring tree limbs reaching toward the ever-changing clouds, or the way sunlight plays with both.    Komorebi is a Japanese word that doesn't have an English translation, which means the way light travels through the leaves of trees. I wonder if there is a word for the way light shines through the clouds. Fall Gallery Night 2019, I stumbled upon a magnanimous canvas of clouds with the sun piercing through. It knocked me back. I took a picture just to admire it from home but walked away knowing I would never allow myself to get it. A year later, it occurred to me that I still think about that art. The strange state of things and lots of extra time at home has encouraged me to do things I never thought possible. And I don't understand the correlation between the pandemic and my n...