Skip to main content

Fort Worth's Japanese Gardens

Japanese Koi at the Gardens
I haven't felt inclined to write lately but knew I needed to do something before I fell off the writing wagon. Why not head over to the Japanese Gardens and walk around?

I was still uninspired as I drove through Fort Worth's Botanical Gardens and parked. The scenery was beautiful, but I was distracted by my lack of enthusiasm.

All of that changed the minute I paid my $4 fee and walked through the entrance of the Japanese Gardens.

There was silence. I was alone in a new world, and an overwhelming serene feeling took me away from the loud and busy world just moments away. The only sounds I heard were a cool breeze that tickled the never-ending canopy of leaves overhead, and a waterfall off in the distance. I instantly felt calm.

"In Japan, a tea garden or stroll garden offers more than a place to cultivate favorite plants. It provides a place for meditation, relaxation, repose and a feeling of tranquility," the garden's official brochure read.

Karesansui Garden
I couldn't have said it better. There was something different about this garden. It really brought tranquility to the willing soul. Every path, plant and rock seemed intentional. Even the canopy of leaves brought the eyes to the heavens.

"Nature is honored and revered. Through the use of trees, shrubs, stones and water, beauty is created and serenity is achieved," the brochure continued on. "The quiet shades of green and various textures compose garden peacefulness."

Sometimes we all need a break from our hectic lives. Some get massages, some get pedicures, some have a therapist. My advice is much cheaper — spend $4 at the Japanese Gardens and meditate about how your week went, if that job is satisfying, what it is that your life may be missing. I think we underestimate the power of silence in nature. Either that, or we've forgotten. Here is a place in our hometown where we can hear ourselves think.

I didn't want to leave. I didn't want to go back to the traffic on University Drive, back to grading papers and cooking dinner. I wanted to stay here lost in time and space.

But I will go back next time with a book and sit in one of the many benches that overlook the trickling ponds. If you're missing inspiration in your life, I recommend spending one hour here by yourself to unwind, rewind and do as I did. I'm writing, aren't I?


See photo gallery below. 






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Little Lilly Sushi

Although it may look the same as Fort Worth's original sushi joint,  Little Lilly Sushi is a different animal (or fish) in a novel way. diced tuna, sushi rice, shiso, sake-soy, mountain yam and wasabi It's in the same location and has the same chummy atmosphere as the former Hui Chuan but a crisp carte du jour. The 24-year-old blooming chef, Jesus Garcia, created the menu and plays with it weekly to keep his job amusing and see what works for his customers. And trust me, it's DELICIOUS. So good that it inspired me to write on my food blog for the first time since I had my baby. He's 11 months old. While there are a few items that stay on the menu (like my favorite Hamachi Zest roll), he adds treats every week to keep things interesting. Check out their Facebook page under the "current fish selection" album to see what's fresh and what Jesus is experimenting with this week. If ever confused by the contents, Chef Garcia explains all of his crea...

Weekend on Caddo Lake

T he mysterious tall trees Caddo Lake is known for remain hidden in the early morning darkness. Our fishing guide, Billy Carter , is supposed to meet us at 7 a.m., but the sun has yet to rise. The tired family gathers around the breakfast table grabbing Marie Calendar’s cinnamon rolls and Jimmy Dean sausage biscuits discussing our potential catches for the day. As the sun peeks through the cypress forrest, I remember how uniquely beautiful it is here. Rumored to be five hundred years old, bald cypress trees grow 60 feet out of the water. The angelic Spanish moss delicately hangs from the trees’ limbs — it doesn’t rustle in the wind like leaves do, rather it quietly dances and floats like individual notes in a harmonious composition. In the dark when the wind is still, they look like stalagmites in a cave. Legendary Billy Carter Billy pulls up a little after 7, and six of us pile into the boat. Billy’s roots run as deep as the ring-dated 400-year-old bald cypress trees that tower ...

Big Sky No. 2, parts 1+ 2

  By Jocelyn Tatum   I have an affinity for all things that cause me to look up — mostly trees and clouds. When I walk the dogs or go for a long run, I often trip over something because I am admiring tree limbs reaching toward the ever-changing clouds, or the way sunlight plays with both.    Komorebi is a Japanese word that doesn't have an English translation, which means the way light travels through the leaves of trees. I wonder if there is a word for the way light shines through the clouds. Fall Gallery Night 2019, I stumbled upon a magnanimous canvas of clouds with the sun piercing through. It knocked me back. I took a picture just to admire it from home but walked away knowing I would never allow myself to get it. A year later, it occurred to me that I still think about that art. The strange state of things and lots of extra time at home has encouraged me to do things I never thought possible. And I don't understand the correlation between the pandemic and my n...