Skip to main content

TCU Hosts Journalism Symposium

    Some of us didn't get enough in college, so I appreciate it when a university lets me in to soak up a little more brain juice. Last week — the seventh annual journalism symposium hosted by TCU. I heard from several organizers it was the biggest hit of them all.


“This is one of the largest crowds we’ve ever had for the symposium,” moderator Bob Schieffer said as he pulled up his pant leg and flashed his new purple boots with TCU stitched in white leather. He had bought them at Lusky’s earlier that day. The full room roared with approval of his latest purchase.

Panelists included the hosts of MSNBC’s Morning Joe, Mika Brzezinski and Joe Scarborough, founder of The Huffington Post, Ariana Huffington and FOX news’ senior political analyst, Brit Hume. Hot issues like Wall Street greed and the fate of journalism darted around the room like a boomerang.

Schieffer started the cordial quarrel. He said he’s never seen the government quite like it is right now. Hume came up to bat and said the liberals are more liberal and the conservatives more conservative. I can’t help but wonder if it's because news media has turned away from reporting and towards the game of political mudslinging. Newsflash: there is a difference between a news commentator and a news anchor.

Blurry picture of panelists. Bob Schieffer is in the middle. 
Scarborough made me happy when he said news media needs to “tone it down … this isn’t just about ratings.” He’s right. Journalists have a duty to society before shareholders' profit. Or do they? They are the Fourth Estate (fourth branch of government). They are the watchdogs of the country with a noble history of outing the corrupt. We need them to focus on the facts and not on hurling insults.

The topics changed faster than a schoolgirl does boyfriends, so forgive my poor transitions. No editor here, folks.

Next topic was the impact of social media in the Middle East. These American creations — Facebook and Twitter — are very democratic forms of media. There is no longer solely a government or corporate run media giant transmitting messages to the masses. We create the content too. Information now flows from the media consumers and giants. This gives people in authoritarian countries, like those in the Middle East, more power than they’ve ever had. They also have access to vital information that was traditionally withheld. Thus, we are witnessing the most fascinating piece of history — revolutions all over the Middle East. And Hume brought up a cool point.

“There was no leader in this revolution,” he said.

People organized themselves through new media. I wonder what user-generated media like YouTube, Facebook and Twitter will do for the world next.

The fate of journalism? Most of the panelists said they had no idea where it is going. Schieffer said we will always need good journalism, but the mediums will change. Scarborough said it will be something that doesn’t require 20 producers and editors. Journalists will need to do it all on their own. Ugh.

I thank TCU for letting a member of the community like me be involved. Stay tuned and click this link for upcoming TCU events like author of The Color Purple, Alice Walker, coming to speak. I've always enjoyed the plays there as well. Just some ideas. 

 Panelists covered more issues than I have room for in this post that were equally as fascinating. Tickets were $20 and students got in free. It was a sold out event. 


P.S. I just found out that Vision FW is hosting a Fort Worth Mayoral Candidate Forum 5-7 p.m. May 4 at the Brown Lupton Union Auditorium. Click here for more information. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Little Lilly Sushi

Although it may look the same as Fort Worth's original sushi joint,  Little Lilly Sushi is a different animal (or fish) in a novel way. diced tuna, sushi rice, shiso, sake-soy, mountain yam and wasabi It's in the same location and has the same chummy atmosphere as the former Hui Chuan but a crisp carte du jour. The 24-year-old blooming chef, Jesus Garcia, created the menu and plays with it weekly to keep his job amusing and see what works for his customers. And trust me, it's DELICIOUS. So good that it inspired me to write on my food blog for the first time since I had my baby. He's 11 months old. While there are a few items that stay on the menu (like my favorite Hamachi Zest roll), he adds treats every week to keep things interesting. Check out their Facebook page under the "current fish selection" album to see what's fresh and what Jesus is experimenting with this week. If ever confused by the contents, Chef Garcia explains all of his crea...

Weekend on Caddo Lake

T he mysterious tall trees Caddo Lake is known for remain hidden in the early morning darkness. Our fishing guide, Billy Carter , is supposed to meet us at 7 a.m., but the sun has yet to rise. The tired family gathers around the breakfast table grabbing Marie Calendar’s cinnamon rolls and Jimmy Dean sausage biscuits discussing our potential catches for the day. As the sun peeks through the cypress forrest, I remember how uniquely beautiful it is here. Rumored to be five hundred years old, bald cypress trees grow 60 feet out of the water. The angelic Spanish moss delicately hangs from the trees’ limbs — it doesn’t rustle in the wind like leaves do, rather it quietly dances and floats like individual notes in a harmonious composition. In the dark when the wind is still, they look like stalagmites in a cave. Legendary Billy Carter Billy pulls up a little after 7, and six of us pile into the boat. Billy’s roots run as deep as the ring-dated 400-year-old bald cypress trees that tower ...

Big Sky No. 2, parts 1+ 2

  By Jocelyn Tatum   I have an affinity for all things that cause me to look up — mostly trees and clouds. When I walk the dogs or go for a long run, I often trip over something because I am admiring tree limbs reaching toward the ever-changing clouds, or the way sunlight plays with both.    Komorebi is a Japanese word that doesn't have an English translation, which means the way light travels through the leaves of trees. I wonder if there is a word for the way light shines through the clouds. Fall Gallery Night 2019, I stumbled upon a magnanimous canvas of clouds with the sun piercing through. It knocked me back. I took a picture just to admire it from home but walked away knowing I would never allow myself to get it. A year later, it occurred to me that I still think about that art. The strange state of things and lots of extra time at home has encouraged me to do things I never thought possible. And I don't understand the correlation between the pandemic and my n...