Skip to main content

Arts Goggle Impressed

Spring Arts Goggle last weekend was hyper-local in an awesome way. I brought four girlfriends with me that had never been, and we all had a great time.

We got there about 5:30 p.m. and walked straight to the Wiener Man food truck for a snack. After all, we were going to be walking all night and needed fuel. All four of us thoroughly enjoyed our order. The crowd started to build and bands played on Magnolia as we ate our artisan hot dogs on a bench in front of Avoca.

Next we stopped at The Usual to wash our hands and grab a drink. (You must try the Jimador's Revenge or Moscow Mule cocktails.) When we stepped out 40 minutes later, the crowd multiplied and the scene was bustling on Magnolia.

After a few stops and distractions, we arrived to a kaleidoscope of booths filled with clothes, hand-shaped glass beads, drawings, paintings, doggie beds and vintage jewelry that dotted the closed-off street. Everything was affordable, which was so fun because we could actually purchase things.

I bought two pairs of vintage-inspired handmade earrings from Fitzy Sparrow and a color pencil drawing from Yvonne Wilson.  I even had my face painted with stars and glitter by a local artist. The best part was that I didn't spend more than $40 on everything.

I loved that all of the artwork and bands were local.  Some of it was fantastic. Not everything was great — there was definitely some art that I preferred never to see again, but that's not what this event was about. It supported local talent and a great new scene in Fort Worth. It made me happy to look around and watch one of Fort Worth's babies (the South Side renaissance) grow in action.

We took Molly the Trolley back to Magnolia and headed to the local vegan diner (Spiral Diner) for a late dinner. We told stories, laughed and stuffed our faces. My crush on the South Side is definitely growing after this event.




From a dude's backpack at Arts Goggle

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Little Lilly Sushi

Although it may look the same as Fort Worth's original sushi joint,  Little Lilly Sushi is a different animal (or fish) in a novel way. diced tuna, sushi rice, shiso, sake-soy, mountain yam and wasabi It's in the same location and has the same chummy atmosphere as the former Hui Chuan but a crisp carte du jour. The 24-year-old blooming chef, Jesus Garcia, created the menu and plays with it weekly to keep his job amusing and see what works for his customers. And trust me, it's DELICIOUS. So good that it inspired me to write on my food blog for the first time since I had my baby. He's 11 months old. While there are a few items that stay on the menu (like my favorite Hamachi Zest roll), he adds treats every week to keep things interesting. Check out their Facebook page under the "current fish selection" album to see what's fresh and what Jesus is experimenting with this week. If ever confused by the contents, Chef Garcia explains all of his crea...

Weekend on Caddo Lake

T he mysterious tall trees Caddo Lake is known for remain hidden in the early morning darkness. Our fishing guide, Billy Carter , is supposed to meet us at 7 a.m., but the sun has yet to rise. The tired family gathers around the breakfast table grabbing Marie Calendar’s cinnamon rolls and Jimmy Dean sausage biscuits discussing our potential catches for the day. As the sun peeks through the cypress forrest, I remember how uniquely beautiful it is here. Rumored to be five hundred years old, bald cypress trees grow 60 feet out of the water. The angelic Spanish moss delicately hangs from the trees’ limbs — it doesn’t rustle in the wind like leaves do, rather it quietly dances and floats like individual notes in a harmonious composition. In the dark when the wind is still, they look like stalagmites in a cave. Legendary Billy Carter Billy pulls up a little after 7, and six of us pile into the boat. Billy’s roots run as deep as the ring-dated 400-year-old bald cypress trees that tower ...

Big Sky No. 2, parts 1+ 2

  By Jocelyn Tatum   I have an affinity for all things that cause me to look up — mostly trees and clouds. When I walk the dogs or go for a long run, I often trip over something because I am admiring tree limbs reaching toward the ever-changing clouds, or the way sunlight plays with both.    Komorebi is a Japanese word that doesn't have an English translation, which means the way light travels through the leaves of trees. I wonder if there is a word for the way light shines through the clouds. Fall Gallery Night 2019, I stumbled upon a magnanimous canvas of clouds with the sun piercing through. It knocked me back. I took a picture just to admire it from home but walked away knowing I would never allow myself to get it. A year later, it occurred to me that I still think about that art. The strange state of things and lots of extra time at home has encouraged me to do things I never thought possible. And I don't understand the correlation between the pandemic and my n...