Skip to main content

Fort Worth Hiking Trails

It's summer and time to get out of the house! I'm always looking for things to do outside and after a little research I found some hiking trails that I can't wait to check out.

I stumbled on the website Trails.com: Your Guide to the Outdoors and looked at what they had on Fort Worth. There are a bunch of hiking trails all around us! You'd think I would know that as a native, but alas we get lazy.

Click here for some information on a bike route that takes you through historical Fort Worth. For other hiking trails and maps click here.

Lake Mineral Wells Trail
My roommate in college used to spend weekends hiking and camping at Lake Mineral Wells State Park (click name). She grew up in New Mexico and Canada where the outdoors are appreciated a little more. She told me how beautiful it was and that I should check it out. Now that my life is settling down a little bit, I think I will.

The Fort Worth Nature Center looks like a promising stop!  I have to thank Fort Worth Hole in the Wall for the tip. So nice of them. Pssst ... it may be worth stopping in the FW Nature Center this weekend for the center's canoe tour May 28, or the Fitness Walk guided tour through nature on May 29.



Lake Mineral Wells

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Little Lilly Sushi

Although it may look the same as Fort Worth's original sushi joint,  Little Lilly Sushi is a different animal (or fish) in a novel way. diced tuna, sushi rice, shiso, sake-soy, mountain yam and wasabi It's in the same location and has the same chummy atmosphere as the former Hui Chuan but a crisp carte du jour. The 24-year-old blooming chef, Jesus Garcia, created the menu and plays with it weekly to keep his job amusing and see what works for his customers. And trust me, it's DELICIOUS. So good that it inspired me to write on my food blog for the first time since I had my baby. He's 11 months old. While there are a few items that stay on the menu (like my favorite Hamachi Zest roll), he adds treats every week to keep things interesting. Check out their Facebook page under the "current fish selection" album to see what's fresh and what Jesus is experimenting with this week. If ever confused by the contents, Chef Garcia explains all of his crea...

Weekend on Caddo Lake

T he mysterious tall trees Caddo Lake is known for remain hidden in the early morning darkness. Our fishing guide, Billy Carter , is supposed to meet us at 7 a.m., but the sun has yet to rise. The tired family gathers around the breakfast table grabbing Marie Calendar’s cinnamon rolls and Jimmy Dean sausage biscuits discussing our potential catches for the day. As the sun peeks through the cypress forrest, I remember how uniquely beautiful it is here. Rumored to be five hundred years old, bald cypress trees grow 60 feet out of the water. The angelic Spanish moss delicately hangs from the trees’ limbs — it doesn’t rustle in the wind like leaves do, rather it quietly dances and floats like individual notes in a harmonious composition. In the dark when the wind is still, they look like stalagmites in a cave. Legendary Billy Carter Billy pulls up a little after 7, and six of us pile into the boat. Billy’s roots run as deep as the ring-dated 400-year-old bald cypress trees that tower ...

Big Sky No. 2, parts 1+ 2

  By Jocelyn Tatum   I have an affinity for all things that cause me to look up — mostly trees and clouds. When I walk the dogs or go for a long run, I often trip over something because I am admiring tree limbs reaching toward the ever-changing clouds, or the way sunlight plays with both.    Komorebi is a Japanese word that doesn't have an English translation, which means the way light travels through the leaves of trees. I wonder if there is a word for the way light shines through the clouds. Fall Gallery Night 2019, I stumbled upon a magnanimous canvas of clouds with the sun piercing through. It knocked me back. I took a picture just to admire it from home but walked away knowing I would never allow myself to get it. A year later, it occurred to me that I still think about that art. The strange state of things and lots of extra time at home has encouraged me to do things I never thought possible. And I don't understand the correlation between the pandemic and my n...