Skip to main content

Lucky Strike Lanes Grand Opening Party

A colorful line of people traced the So7 building on West 7th Thursday evening.  All waiting to see Fort Worth's new oxymoronic bowling alley. It was the VIP Grand Opening of Lucky Strike Lanes.

A few wannabe Real Housewives of Fort Worth poured out of a rented black suburban complete with a driver and toting their husbands. They were quickly disappointed when they learned that all 100 people in line also had their name on the list.  They had to walk to the back but not without a fight.

In fact, the line was buzzing with disappointed people wondering what happened to their special status. "Didn't I get a VIP invitation? Don't I have my name on the list?" Newsflash: everyone in line was special.

One impatient young man approached a woman patrolling the red carpet. He said he was on the list and deserved to be moved to the front.

"Everybody in this line is on the list. Everybody is special tonight," said the annoyed staff member for many to hear. The oh-so-humble man in a shirt painted on his disproportionate arms walked right past her.
A Full House

When the guests finally made it past the red carpet they were greeted by two big-boobied blondes wearing tight tank tops that read "feeling lucky?"

Toto, I'm not in Fort Worth anymore.

We ascended up the stairs into a booming club scene. The entire lounge was packed. Everyone seemed to be having a great time. Huge flat screens playing The Big Lebowski hung over the bar and bowling lanes. People with gelled hair, Affliction shirts, mini skirts and preps alike sipped cocktails of all shades. What kind of people are going to be hanging out here? I wondered.

Patio
Attractive cocktail waitress bustled through the room with food and drinks in hand. Is this Hooter's meets luxurious lounge meets bowling alley? I'm a little old-fashioned, but most attendees loved it.

Sisters Diana and Linda Nguyen sat at a table enjoying a drink and some hors d'oeuvres.

"It's more of a bar with a little bowling," Linda said. The sisters are already big fans of the new bowling lounge. Linda said she's already planning her next birthday party at Lucky Strike.

"It's something Fort Worth needs … it needs something trendy," Diana said. Maybe that's true. After all, the music was great, the food was decent and the room was packed. Fort Worth, here we go!




Comments

  1. A group of friends along with my wife and I attended the Grand Opening. We were early to get there so not too far back in the line which allowed us to pick a great spot on the patio to enjoy the great weather we had that evening.

    Most of our group agreed that it was a nice new addition to have in Fort Worth. Like you stated it had enough of a mix that I think most people could find something that they enjoy about the place.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Little Lilly Sushi

Although it may look the same as Fort Worth's original sushi joint,  Little Lilly Sushi is a different animal (or fish) in a novel way. diced tuna, sushi rice, shiso, sake-soy, mountain yam and wasabi It's in the same location and has the same chummy atmosphere as the former Hui Chuan but a crisp carte du jour. The 24-year-old blooming chef, Jesus Garcia, created the menu and plays with it weekly to keep his job amusing and see what works for his customers. And trust me, it's DELICIOUS. So good that it inspired me to write on my food blog for the first time since I had my baby. He's 11 months old. While there are a few items that stay on the menu (like my favorite Hamachi Zest roll), he adds treats every week to keep things interesting. Check out their Facebook page under the "current fish selection" album to see what's fresh and what Jesus is experimenting with this week. If ever confused by the contents, Chef Garcia explains all of his crea...

Weekend on Caddo Lake

T he mysterious tall trees Caddo Lake is known for remain hidden in the early morning darkness. Our fishing guide, Billy Carter , is supposed to meet us at 7 a.m., but the sun has yet to rise. The tired family gathers around the breakfast table grabbing Marie Calendar’s cinnamon rolls and Jimmy Dean sausage biscuits discussing our potential catches for the day. As the sun peeks through the cypress forrest, I remember how uniquely beautiful it is here. Rumored to be five hundred years old, bald cypress trees grow 60 feet out of the water. The angelic Spanish moss delicately hangs from the trees’ limbs — it doesn’t rustle in the wind like leaves do, rather it quietly dances and floats like individual notes in a harmonious composition. In the dark when the wind is still, they look like stalagmites in a cave. Legendary Billy Carter Billy pulls up a little after 7, and six of us pile into the boat. Billy’s roots run as deep as the ring-dated 400-year-old bald cypress trees that tower ...

Big Sky No. 2, parts 1+ 2

  By Jocelyn Tatum   I have an affinity for all things that cause me to look up — mostly trees and clouds. When I walk the dogs or go for a long run, I often trip over something because I am admiring tree limbs reaching toward the ever-changing clouds, or the way sunlight plays with both.    Komorebi is a Japanese word that doesn't have an English translation, which means the way light travels through the leaves of trees. I wonder if there is a word for the way light shines through the clouds. Fall Gallery Night 2019, I stumbled upon a magnanimous canvas of clouds with the sun piercing through. It knocked me back. I took a picture just to admire it from home but walked away knowing I would never allow myself to get it. A year later, it occurred to me that I still think about that art. The strange state of things and lots of extra time at home has encouraged me to do things I never thought possible. And I don't understand the correlation between the pandemic and my n...