Skip to main content

Magnolia Brew Pub by Carlo

A small-framed man with huge piercing blue eyes, fair skin and a thick Italian accent stands in the middle of an unfinished brewery on Magnolia just next to SiNaCa glass blowing studio. He's covered in dirt and sweat. His name is Carlo, and yes, he's the man behind the pub's moniker.

A loud generic beer truck pulls up in front of his place. An older man with a mustache and a uniform pops out to meet the owner of the pub. He asks when Carlo was going to get his liquor license so he could sell Carlo beer. Carlo grins and politely tells the man he won't be selling that kind of beer.

The distributor seemed surprised. He kept pushing as if Carlo would change is his mind, but he stood his ground as he wiped sweat from his brow. Carlo is mostly brewing his own beer.

Carlo moved here from Torino, Italy. He said in the last ten years microbreweries are popping up all over his native country. They brew and sell European-inspired beer from the likes of Germany, Belgium, etc. He plans to do the same. And no, he will not be bottling Peroni. The only thing Italian is the business model and the food. He'll offer a small menu of pizza and pasta. Carlo said he loves to cook.

The interior has a beautiful wood bar and trim. The microbrewery is even in place. The red-brick exterior adds to the antiquated feel of the place. The building was constructed in the 1920s and most recently was a Gunn's Cleaners.

So why open this unique place in Fort Worth? He moved here to take a job as an engineer for Lockheed Martin, but quit to start his passion. He's spent years and poured everything including his heart into this place.  He finally plans to open in July.

I wish Carlo the best of luck and can't wait to see this place open!

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Little Lilly Sushi

Although it may look the same as Fort Worth's original sushi joint,  Little Lilly Sushi is a different animal (or fish) in a novel way. diced tuna, sushi rice, shiso, sake-soy, mountain yam and wasabi It's in the same location and has the same chummy atmosphere as the former Hui Chuan but a crisp carte du jour. The 24-year-old blooming chef, Jesus Garcia, created the menu and plays with it weekly to keep his job amusing and see what works for his customers. And trust me, it's DELICIOUS. So good that it inspired me to write on my food blog for the first time since I had my baby. He's 11 months old. While there are a few items that stay on the menu (like my favorite Hamachi Zest roll), he adds treats every week to keep things interesting. Check out their Facebook page under the "current fish selection" album to see what's fresh and what Jesus is experimenting with this week. If ever confused by the contents, Chef Garcia explains all of his crea...

Weekend on Caddo Lake

T he mysterious tall trees Caddo Lake is known for remain hidden in the early morning darkness. Our fishing guide, Billy Carter , is supposed to meet us at 7 a.m., but the sun has yet to rise. The tired family gathers around the breakfast table grabbing Marie Calendar’s cinnamon rolls and Jimmy Dean sausage biscuits discussing our potential catches for the day. As the sun peeks through the cypress forrest, I remember how uniquely beautiful it is here. Rumored to be five hundred years old, bald cypress trees grow 60 feet out of the water. The angelic Spanish moss delicately hangs from the trees’ limbs — it doesn’t rustle in the wind like leaves do, rather it quietly dances and floats like individual notes in a harmonious composition. In the dark when the wind is still, they look like stalagmites in a cave. Legendary Billy Carter Billy pulls up a little after 7, and six of us pile into the boat. Billy’s roots run as deep as the ring-dated 400-year-old bald cypress trees that tower ...

Big Sky No. 2, parts 1+ 2

  By Jocelyn Tatum   I have an affinity for all things that cause me to look up — mostly trees and clouds. When I walk the dogs or go for a long run, I often trip over something because I am admiring tree limbs reaching toward the ever-changing clouds, or the way sunlight plays with both.    Komorebi is a Japanese word that doesn't have an English translation, which means the way light travels through the leaves of trees. I wonder if there is a word for the way light shines through the clouds. Fall Gallery Night 2019, I stumbled upon a magnanimous canvas of clouds with the sun piercing through. It knocked me back. I took a picture just to admire it from home but walked away knowing I would never allow myself to get it. A year later, it occurred to me that I still think about that art. The strange state of things and lots of extra time at home has encouraged me to do things I never thought possible. And I don't understand the correlation between the pandemic and my n...