Skip to main content

Pie Five doesn't get a high five from me

I have a small voice, and it embarrasses me when I have to yell to place my order. Not only did I have to scream my order at the loud McPizza joint, but the rude staff at Pie Five on West 7th actually told me to order faster.

"You can order your toppings faster you know," said the man behind the counter who almost received a black eye from moi.

"I bet I can, but I'm figuring out my toppings as I look through your pretty glass case ... you really need to be nicer," I said. I was ticked.

As I waited for my pizza to go through the conveyer belt oven, I noticed the place was louder than loud,  really hot and flies peppered the tables. I had to dine in because I was short on time, but wasn't excited about it.

I tried this place a few weeks ago and the staff was a bit nicer but not patient. There were so many options before you even get to the toppings: the crust thickness, garlic sauce, alfredo sauce or marinara sauce. I needed help figuring out what tasted good with what.

I asked the staff if they normally put garlic butter sauce with alfredo sauce. He told me to do whatever I want and rushed me through (side note: both times nobody was in line behind me).  My order was mushy, too rich and clearly lacked guidance.

I stayed traditional with my second attempt. It was OK. I liked the dough.

Domino's is cheaper, hotter and easier. I think I'll stick with them ... unless I need a pie ASAP.

A tent was set out in front of the pizza place the night before it's grand opening. The first 50 people inside received a free pie. 

The line wrapped around the building. This is moments before the opening of Pie Five. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Little Lilly Sushi

Although it may look the same as Fort Worth's original sushi joint,  Little Lilly Sushi is a different animal (or fish) in a novel way. diced tuna, sushi rice, shiso, sake-soy, mountain yam and wasabi It's in the same location and has the same chummy atmosphere as the former Hui Chuan but a crisp carte du jour. The 24-year-old blooming chef, Jesus Garcia, created the menu and plays with it weekly to keep his job amusing and see what works for his customers. And trust me, it's DELICIOUS. So good that it inspired me to write on my food blog for the first time since I had my baby. He's 11 months old. While there are a few items that stay on the menu (like my favorite Hamachi Zest roll), he adds treats every week to keep things interesting. Check out their Facebook page under the "current fish selection" album to see what's fresh and what Jesus is experimenting with this week. If ever confused by the contents, Chef Garcia explains all of his crea...

Weekend on Caddo Lake

T he mysterious tall trees Caddo Lake is known for remain hidden in the early morning darkness. Our fishing guide, Billy Carter , is supposed to meet us at 7 a.m., but the sun has yet to rise. The tired family gathers around the breakfast table grabbing Marie Calendar’s cinnamon rolls and Jimmy Dean sausage biscuits discussing our potential catches for the day. As the sun peeks through the cypress forrest, I remember how uniquely beautiful it is here. Rumored to be five hundred years old, bald cypress trees grow 60 feet out of the water. The angelic Spanish moss delicately hangs from the trees’ limbs — it doesn’t rustle in the wind like leaves do, rather it quietly dances and floats like individual notes in a harmonious composition. In the dark when the wind is still, they look like stalagmites in a cave. Legendary Billy Carter Billy pulls up a little after 7, and six of us pile into the boat. Billy’s roots run as deep as the ring-dated 400-year-old bald cypress trees that tower ...

Big Sky No. 2, parts 1+ 2

  By Jocelyn Tatum   I have an affinity for all things that cause me to look up — mostly trees and clouds. When I walk the dogs or go for a long run, I often trip over something because I am admiring tree limbs reaching toward the ever-changing clouds, or the way sunlight plays with both.    Komorebi is a Japanese word that doesn't have an English translation, which means the way light travels through the leaves of trees. I wonder if there is a word for the way light shines through the clouds. Fall Gallery Night 2019, I stumbled upon a magnanimous canvas of clouds with the sun piercing through. It knocked me back. I took a picture just to admire it from home but walked away knowing I would never allow myself to get it. A year later, it occurred to me that I still think about that art. The strange state of things and lots of extra time at home has encouraged me to do things I never thought possible. And I don't understand the correlation between the pandemic and my n...