Skip to main content

Forbes Gives Zeke's a Thumbs Up!

The best fish and chips I've ever had anywhere in the world is right here in Fort Worth at Zeke's on Camp Bowie. I'm serious. I don't know what the secret is in their batter, but it's so light and crispy that I can't get enough.

A blogger for Forbes magazine agrees. In July they published a piece stating Zeke's is one of the top 20 restaurants in the country for value "with food scores no lower than 25 and an average price per head no higher than $27." Translation: the best bang for your buck.

I wasn't aware of this article when I dragged five of my friends there a few Friday nights ago. I had warned them that they will have to shower once finished and their diets must be left at home. They were still intrigued ... after all, you know it's good if you have to shower afterward.

Fried cod and shrimp combo
As we waited in the slow and inefficiently constructed line we overheard an older couple from Fort Worth saying this was their first time to try Zeke's. They were inspired by the Forbes piece (this is how I found out about the article). Another couple behind them said they've been coming here almost every Friday night since the late 70s and that this was a Fort Worth institution. "How could you have lived here and never tried this place?" the fried fish veteran's wrinkled brow spelled out. Another couple in line drove all the way from Denton for some fish.

As I waited I noticed the wall was decorated with food reviews and accolades from decades past. Forty years these people have been slingin' fish. Cod (my favorite), catfish and shrimp to be exact. (Ever since my grad school buddy did an "a-hed" style feature on the bottom-dwelling catfish, I haven't been able to eat them since. I took her to Zeke's for "research.")

But I love the white, flaky cod at Zekes. It comes out so hot and crispy. I actually just got back from Scotland a few days ago. I went to this locally famous hole-in-the-wall bar on the Northwest Highlands coast in search of the renowned fish and chips. It was pretty darn good. The fish was caught that morning, but it still didn't top my Zeke's. I have no explanation, except maybe they put crack in the batter.

Some people say Zeke's is gross. I know a few Fort Worth bloggers disdain this place. I have friends that refuse to eat there. One of them says she breaks out afterward. Others probably hate to leave smelling like they've been dipped in the batter themselves. The dive isn't the cleanest. But I say if it tastes good and the beer is cold, who gives a hoot. (Yes, I said hoot.)

The first-timers we met in line made sure to tell us they loved their first experience at Zeke's as they headed for the door.

Fish & Chips




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Little Lilly Sushi

Although it may look the same as Fort Worth's original sushi joint,  Little Lilly Sushi is a different animal (or fish) in a novel way. diced tuna, sushi rice, shiso, sake-soy, mountain yam and wasabi It's in the same location and has the same chummy atmosphere as the former Hui Chuan but a crisp carte du jour. The 24-year-old blooming chef, Jesus Garcia, created the menu and plays with it weekly to keep his job amusing and see what works for his customers. And trust me, it's DELICIOUS. So good that it inspired me to write on my food blog for the first time since I had my baby. He's 11 months old. While there are a few items that stay on the menu (like my favorite Hamachi Zest roll), he adds treats every week to keep things interesting. Check out their Facebook page under the "current fish selection" album to see what's fresh and what Jesus is experimenting with this week. If ever confused by the contents, Chef Garcia explains all of his crea...

Weekend on Caddo Lake

T he mysterious tall trees Caddo Lake is known for remain hidden in the early morning darkness. Our fishing guide, Billy Carter , is supposed to meet us at 7 a.m., but the sun has yet to rise. The tired family gathers around the breakfast table grabbing Marie Calendar’s cinnamon rolls and Jimmy Dean sausage biscuits discussing our potential catches for the day. As the sun peeks through the cypress forrest, I remember how uniquely beautiful it is here. Rumored to be five hundred years old, bald cypress trees grow 60 feet out of the water. The angelic Spanish moss delicately hangs from the trees’ limbs — it doesn’t rustle in the wind like leaves do, rather it quietly dances and floats like individual notes in a harmonious composition. In the dark when the wind is still, they look like stalagmites in a cave. Legendary Billy Carter Billy pulls up a little after 7, and six of us pile into the boat. Billy’s roots run as deep as the ring-dated 400-year-old bald cypress trees that tower ...

Big Sky No. 2, parts 1+ 2

  By Jocelyn Tatum   I have an affinity for all things that cause me to look up — mostly trees and clouds. When I walk the dogs or go for a long run, I often trip over something because I am admiring tree limbs reaching toward the ever-changing clouds, or the way sunlight plays with both.    Komorebi is a Japanese word that doesn't have an English translation, which means the way light travels through the leaves of trees. I wonder if there is a word for the way light shines through the clouds. Fall Gallery Night 2019, I stumbled upon a magnanimous canvas of clouds with the sun piercing through. It knocked me back. I took a picture just to admire it from home but walked away knowing I would never allow myself to get it. A year later, it occurred to me that I still think about that art. The strange state of things and lots of extra time at home has encouraged me to do things I never thought possible. And I don't understand the correlation between the pandemic and my n...