Skip to main content

MAYFEST 2013



I've been going to Mayfest since I was in my mom's tummy. She used to volunteer with the Junior League setting up and working the booths. We went EVERY year and the happy memories have stayed with me ever since.

I can hardly wait to see what the logo will look like every year. I'm a huge fan of this year's—it has a simple vintage flair. I still wish I had all of the T-shirts I collected over the years. I especially loved one from the early 80s with butterflies on it.

Beyond the shirts, how could I forget getting my face painted like a little animal or the wood crafting section.  It was my favorite! Building doll houses and tables made me feel like I do and could make anything.  Smashing confetti eggs on cute boys' heads was the BEST way to flirt in middle school. Face painting, Dippin Dots and turkey legs never got old. I loved getting dressed up for the dance recitals we performed in.

As an adult, we drink a beer and mingle with old friends. This is always a good time to share stories like when we all dove for cover under folding chairs during a hail storm that devastated the park.  We were 13 at the time. Those were the days. We share stories of battle wounds and about that time my best friend Rachel and I dressed in sumo outfits and wrestled. I laughed so hard I almost wet the suit.

It's that time of year again, and I get to take my baby boy for his first time. I hope to get his face painted and smash a confetti egg over his Dad's head. There are more memories to be made and I can't wait to head out there tomorrow!

Head out to Mayfest in Trinity Park! Don't forget to check out the 5 or 10k Mayfest Run on Saturday morning either!

Later Saturday evening ...
My boy's first confetti egg experience

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Little Lilly Sushi

Although it may look the same as Fort Worth's original sushi joint,  Little Lilly Sushi is a different animal (or fish) in a novel way. diced tuna, sushi rice, shiso, sake-soy, mountain yam and wasabi It's in the same location and has the same chummy atmosphere as the former Hui Chuan but a crisp carte du jour. The 24-year-old blooming chef, Jesus Garcia, created the menu and plays with it weekly to keep his job amusing and see what works for his customers. And trust me, it's DELICIOUS. So good that it inspired me to write on my food blog for the first time since I had my baby. He's 11 months old. While there are a few items that stay on the menu (like my favorite Hamachi Zest roll), he adds treats every week to keep things interesting. Check out their Facebook page under the "current fish selection" album to see what's fresh and what Jesus is experimenting with this week. If ever confused by the contents, Chef Garcia explains all of his crea...

Weekend on Caddo Lake

T he mysterious tall trees Caddo Lake is known for remain hidden in the early morning darkness. Our fishing guide, Billy Carter , is supposed to meet us at 7 a.m., but the sun has yet to rise. The tired family gathers around the breakfast table grabbing Marie Calendar’s cinnamon rolls and Jimmy Dean sausage biscuits discussing our potential catches for the day. As the sun peeks through the cypress forrest, I remember how uniquely beautiful it is here. Rumored to be five hundred years old, bald cypress trees grow 60 feet out of the water. The angelic Spanish moss delicately hangs from the trees’ limbs — it doesn’t rustle in the wind like leaves do, rather it quietly dances and floats like individual notes in a harmonious composition. In the dark when the wind is still, they look like stalagmites in a cave. Legendary Billy Carter Billy pulls up a little after 7, and six of us pile into the boat. Billy’s roots run as deep as the ring-dated 400-year-old bald cypress trees that tower ...

Big Sky No. 2, parts 1+ 2

  By Jocelyn Tatum   I have an affinity for all things that cause me to look up — mostly trees and clouds. When I walk the dogs or go for a long run, I often trip over something because I am admiring tree limbs reaching toward the ever-changing clouds, or the way sunlight plays with both.    Komorebi is a Japanese word that doesn't have an English translation, which means the way light travels through the leaves of trees. I wonder if there is a word for the way light shines through the clouds. Fall Gallery Night 2019, I stumbled upon a magnanimous canvas of clouds with the sun piercing through. It knocked me back. I took a picture just to admire it from home but walked away knowing I would never allow myself to get it. A year later, it occurred to me that I still think about that art. The strange state of things and lots of extra time at home has encouraged me to do things I never thought possible. And I don't understand the correlation between the pandemic and my n...