Skip to main content

Cooking Class Fun!


By Jocelyn Tatum 




Ready, set, GO! The big screen TVs reveal the stove top at the front of the room. Chef Christine bellows information to get the class started, and the first glass of wine is poured. It's time to play.

If you haven't guessed yet, I am at a Central Market cooking class. I tried this because it appeals to many passions—my love for cooking and learning new things, and my love for meeting new people and hearing their stories, and my love for doing something different.

Each group of four sat at one of the four assigned tables. That equals 16 people, which means the intimate feeling wasn't lost. We sipped wine, whisked egg whites until they held peaks, delighted in each other's stories, and learned things like "cooking light is about concentrated flavors [and] egg whites must be room temperature and in a metal bowl before they can hold peaks." Who
salad ingredients
knew?

Before we prepared each course, Chef Christine demonstrated on the big screen what to do next. Then each group divided up duties and walked to our station in the kitchen. The industrial gas stove flared its bright flame. The lady next to us joined in on the discussion of whether we should put the herbs in the wasabi rice milk slurry or directly onto our "composed" salad (composed means it's not tossed...another thing I learned). We decided to put it into the hot dressing because the heat kicked up the aromatics. This was later poured onto our fingerling potato, fennel, corn and avocado salad. It was time for our next dish so we scurried back to our tables.

Listen, cook, taste and repeat.

Folding the egg whites into the sugar and yokes.
Did you know sugar cooks yokes so you have to move fast?
No? I didn't either. 
The three-hour experience flew by, and at the end we got to enjoy the fruits of our not-so-hard labor. The first course was the aforementioned salad. The second course was grass fed bison filets, poached green beans with lemon juice and low fat au gratin potatoes. The desert was a lemon pudding soufflé that melted onto our palates. 

The Central Market cooking school offers everything from lobster dinner, cooking light (my class), grilling with Jon Bonnell to couples Chinese New Year. Classes typically cost about $75 each, but after eight classes you get to try one for free.

This is definitely something new and different I recommend in Fort Worth! And if you want to share this experience with your children, check out the Young Chef's Academy on Camp Bowie.

BAM!


We had to work for dessert!

Lemon pudding soufflé

Cooked fingerling potatoes, corn, herbs, fennel, avocado salad
with warm wasabi dressing.

Grass fed bison filet, herbed au gratin potatoes, poached lemony green beans.

*Side note: please remember that I do not accept gifts to write these stories. This content is pure and we paid for the class ourselves. This is important to me as a professional. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Little Lilly Sushi

Although it may look the same as Fort Worth's original sushi joint,  Little Lilly Sushi is a different animal (or fish) in a novel way. diced tuna, sushi rice, shiso, sake-soy, mountain yam and wasabi It's in the same location and has the same chummy atmosphere as the former Hui Chuan but a crisp carte du jour. The 24-year-old blooming chef, Jesus Garcia, created the menu and plays with it weekly to keep his job amusing and see what works for his customers. And trust me, it's DELICIOUS. So good that it inspired me to write on my food blog for the first time since I had my baby. He's 11 months old. While there are a few items that stay on the menu (like my favorite Hamachi Zest roll), he adds treats every week to keep things interesting. Check out their Facebook page under the "current fish selection" album to see what's fresh and what Jesus is experimenting with this week. If ever confused by the contents, Chef Garcia explains all of his crea...

Weekend on Caddo Lake

T he mysterious tall trees Caddo Lake is known for remain hidden in the early morning darkness. Our fishing guide, Billy Carter , is supposed to meet us at 7 a.m., but the sun has yet to rise. The tired family gathers around the breakfast table grabbing Marie Calendar’s cinnamon rolls and Jimmy Dean sausage biscuits discussing our potential catches for the day. As the sun peeks through the cypress forrest, I remember how uniquely beautiful it is here. Rumored to be five hundred years old, bald cypress trees grow 60 feet out of the water. The angelic Spanish moss delicately hangs from the trees’ limbs — it doesn’t rustle in the wind like leaves do, rather it quietly dances and floats like individual notes in a harmonious composition. In the dark when the wind is still, they look like stalagmites in a cave. Legendary Billy Carter Billy pulls up a little after 7, and six of us pile into the boat. Billy’s roots run as deep as the ring-dated 400-year-old bald cypress trees that tower ...

Big Sky No. 2, parts 1+ 2

  By Jocelyn Tatum   I have an affinity for all things that cause me to look up — mostly trees and clouds. When I walk the dogs or go for a long run, I often trip over something because I am admiring tree limbs reaching toward the ever-changing clouds, or the way sunlight plays with both.    Komorebi is a Japanese word that doesn't have an English translation, which means the way light travels through the leaves of trees. I wonder if there is a word for the way light shines through the clouds. Fall Gallery Night 2019, I stumbled upon a magnanimous canvas of clouds with the sun piercing through. It knocked me back. I took a picture just to admire it from home but walked away knowing I would never allow myself to get it. A year later, it occurred to me that I still think about that art. The strange state of things and lots of extra time at home has encouraged me to do things I never thought possible. And I don't understand the correlation between the pandemic and my n...