Skip to main content

Charleston Grill, SC

Rarely can I justify spending $100 on myself for dinner, but I didn't feel one ounce of guilt at Charleston Grill on King Street in South Carolina. The food here was an experience, an explosion of flavors, a culinary roller coaster ride. 
I knew it was going to be good when the chef brought out a complimentary taste that was already one of my most memorable bites of food. It was a taste of what is to come. Above is a piece of jumbo lump crab meat served with a yellow tomato gazpacho jelly, vanilla sea salt and lemon crème fraiche. I wanted this for my dinner, but it wasn't on the menu.

We started with the Foie Gras, which was sitting on sauteed apples smothered in a bourbon-cider sauce. To the side of the of the fatty duck liver was a cake doughnut also smothered in the sauce. The little white blob is a creamy, buttery mascarpone. This dish was divine and not like anything I've had before. We took a little bite of the foie gras with a little bite of doughnut and dipped it in the mascarpone to make a sweet and salty marriage that should never get a divorce.  

Below is the tuna sashimi topped with a Greek salad, lemon and basil. It was very refreshing. I've never had uncooked tuna with olives and yellow tomatoes, but I adored it.

Tuna Sashimi
For dinner we each strategically ordered something different and everything was toothsome. I ordered safe with the prime beef tenderloin cooked medium and smothered with bourguignon sauce. Just to make sure I was stuffed to the brim, I ordered pimento cheese grits with apple smoked bacon and lump crab meat. It was incredible. The plate was a work of art as well ... as you can see below.


Prime Beef Tenderloin
South Indian Curry with White Sturgeon Fish
Duck Confit with Blackberries and Foie Gras
Everything we tried was nothing less than perfect so I had to ask who the chef was after this meal, because she knows how to entertain a guest with tasty and eye-catching cuisine. 

Executive Chef Michelle Weaver incorporates fresh local ingredients prepared simply into four different menus — Pure, Lush, Southern and Cosmopolitan. She wowed us by proving she can do all of these styles well. The atmosphere was alive and warm with jazz music and dim lighting. Click her name to see her story and the series of awards she's brought to Charleston Grill

Jazz Ensemble with Quentin Baxter
If you get a chance to visit Charleston and have saved a little cash, then I recommend this place. Some people there just grabbed a drink and listened to the band, so don't feel like you can't enjoy this experience without spending tons of money. 

(Side note: $100 included tip, french-pressed coffee and dessert. It didn't include wine.)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Big Sky No. 2, parts 1+ 2

  By Jocelyn Tatum   I have an affinity for all things that cause me to look up — mostly trees and clouds. When I walk the dogs or go for a long run, I often trip over something because I am admiring tree limbs reaching toward the ever-changing clouds, or the way sunlight plays with both.    Komorebi is a Japanese word that doesn't have an English translation, which means the way light travels through the leaves of trees. I wonder if there is a word for the way light shines through the clouds. Fall Gallery Night 2019, I stumbled upon a magnanimous canvas of clouds with the sun piercing through. It knocked me back. I took a picture just to admire it from home but walked away knowing I would never allow myself to get it. A year later, it occurred to me that I still think about that art. The strange state of things and lots of extra time at home has encouraged me to do things I never thought possible. And I don't understand the correlation between the pandemic and my newfound imp

My Marfa 2020

By Jocelyn Tatum  I n the 12 years that I have been going to Marfa almost annually, a lot has changed. But the small-town-in-a-vast-desert charm has stayed the same. Here are a few things I always plan to do in my two days and two nights in Marfa.  First, drive. I know it seems like it is far away, and it is, but this road trip goes fast because there is no traffic headed west and away from civilization. Driving is part of the right of passage to get there. I also feel like I shed the societal sludge that builds up on my shoulders as I careen across Interstate 20.  Once you turn off onto HWY 17 in Pecos, the drive starts to transition from sulfur and pumpjacks to pure beauty. It always reminds me of my road trip though the Scottish Highlands. My thoughts change with the landscape. Again, no traffic and no crowds. A tip: when you do pass a fellow road warrior once you get into the mountains, give them the friendly L-shaped finger wave the locals do there. Even the

Spring Break Series: Open Trail Rides in the North Texas Wild

It's been a while. I've missed you all.  Since this blog started five years ago to tell you about new and adventurous things to do in and around Fort Worth, I am here to help you with some ideas in the wild outdoors of the DFW backcountry just in time for planning your Spring Break.  You don't have to travel far and empty your bank account to have an exhilarating time this Spring Break. So I will do a little series on this blog of some great ideas. And be looking for my march issue cover story in Fort Worth, TX magazine that will have you exploring areas you never thought existed in our hometown. You just thought you had to go to Utah or Colorado to enjoy the great outdoors. And don't forget to click the links I've embedded into this post for more information.  Chisholm Trail Rides are the only OPEN trail riding experience in North Texas. Do you realize how happy this makes this thrill seeker?!? This is not your average trail ride where the horses walk at a s