Skip to main content

Fort Worth has a New Place to Relax: Yogis R Us


I walk through the front doors and up the stairs toward the back of the building. I turn into an intimate room where the air is comfortable and lukewarm. A meditational chant hums in the background. The sound is known as an Om, and it lulls me into a tranquil place before we even get started. I feel safe.

I'm in the new yoga studio, Yogis R Us, on Magnolia. Fort Worth native Brynn Byrne launched the studio February 2011 after years of studying and teaching yoga coast to coast and internationally. She moved back home to fill a need in Fort Worth for a holistic and therapeutic approach to yoga. With a focus on life enhancement through deep meditation and exercise, her goal is to assist clients in "accessing their best self."

I've taken a generic yoga class here and there, but wanted to know what made Yogis are Us different.

The moment I met Brynn I noticed she was antithetical to the typical modern man. She was calm, pensive and reflective while not somber or stern. Her voice was soft and her tone relaxed. She exuded a peace I've only seen in a seasoned Catholic monk I once met in Italy. Her disposition intrigued me, so this uptight redhead embarked on a tranquilizing journey for 80 minutes.

The Journey to Relaxation
At the beginning of the session she guided me through moves like twisting my wrist and rolling my foot over a tennis ball. She asked me to pay attention to how these felt. The simple movements left a tingling in my appendages. My feet felt like they melted into the ground.

She then asked me to become aware of my breathing and to move with the natural flow of my breath. This was deeply relaxing (for lack of better words). As I focused on my breathing, my movements and the space around my body, she told me to imagine myself in an ideal place. I surrounded myself with giant trees in the fall while colorful leaves danced around in the crisp air. I could see it.

Before we started, Brynn said we can actually use more of our mind and increase our senses through yoga exercise and meditation. The second time I attended her class I imagined I was alone in the desert at dusk. She said it becomes easier each time.

I learned if we place positive images in our subconscious, then conscious thoughts flow from that as a healthy tree springs from solid roots. She said we can also make necessities into joys.

What is Brynn's purpose in teaching yoga? We have an innate potential, and through her instruction she helps her clients access that potential. Her yoga practice creates a space to dream about what's possible. She said yoga also helps people become more aware of what is creating harm in their lives.

Creating this space for increased awareness is a long process, however she said beginners notice a change after one class. I know I did.

Reflections on the Experience
I brought my sister and friend the next day to share this experience. My sister loved it. My friend has attended yoga classes for years all over the country and said this yoga class was different than any she had ever taken because it was tailored to the students and had healing properties.

"I loved it because Brynn made you feel like all of your particular aches and pains were valid and addressed them completely," Darrah said.

The experience was an equal balance of flexibility, strength and mental training. "The class went from a series of stretches into distinct and challenging yoga poses into a complete guided journey to total relaxation," Darrah said.

There are hardly words for the experience I had in Brynn's one-on-one session. I left all of my stress in the parking lot and drove home with more energy than I've had in a long time. I sweat, I smiled, I dreamed and felt like a child again. The physical experience felt l like I had the inside of my body massaged. The mental experience was even more — I felt my mind and soul had been massaged.

"Brynn has a really calming demeanor and a full understanding of yoga as a practice and it's healing properties." Darrah said. "I've never felt so good after doing yoga than I did after taking her class."

This is now one of my new favorite things to do in Fort Worth. Click here to visit the Yogi's R Us website to learn more and sign up for a one-on-one or small group session.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Big Sky No. 2, parts 1+ 2

  By Jocelyn Tatum   I have an affinity for all things that cause me to look up — mostly trees and clouds. When I walk the dogs or go for a long run, I often trip over something because I am admiring tree limbs reaching toward the ever-changing clouds, or the way sunlight plays with both.    Komorebi is a Japanese word that doesn't have an English translation, which means the way light travels through the leaves of trees. I wonder if there is a word for the way light shines through the clouds. Fall Gallery Night 2019, I stumbled upon a magnanimous canvas of clouds with the sun piercing through. It knocked me back. I took a picture just to admire it from home but walked away knowing I would never allow myself to get it. A year later, it occurred to me that I still think about that art. The strange state of things and lots of extra time at home has encouraged me to do things I never thought possible. And I don't understand the correlation between the pandemic and my newfound imp

My Marfa 2020

By Jocelyn Tatum  I n the 12 years that I have been going to Marfa almost annually, a lot has changed. But the small-town-in-a-vast-desert charm has stayed the same. Here are a few things I always plan to do in my two days and two nights in Marfa.  First, drive. I know it seems like it is far away, and it is, but this road trip goes fast because there is no traffic headed west and away from civilization. Driving is part of the right of passage to get there. I also feel like I shed the societal sludge that builds up on my shoulders as I careen across Interstate 20.  Once you turn off onto HWY 17 in Pecos, the drive starts to transition from sulfur and pumpjacks to pure beauty. It always reminds me of my road trip though the Scottish Highlands. My thoughts change with the landscape. Again, no traffic and no crowds. A tip: when you do pass a fellow road warrior once you get into the mountains, give them the friendly L-shaped finger wave the locals do there. Even the

Spring Break Series: Open Trail Rides in the North Texas Wild

It's been a while. I've missed you all.  Since this blog started five years ago to tell you about new and adventurous things to do in and around Fort Worth, I am here to help you with some ideas in the wild outdoors of the DFW backcountry just in time for planning your Spring Break.  You don't have to travel far and empty your bank account to have an exhilarating time this Spring Break. So I will do a little series on this blog of some great ideas. And be looking for my march issue cover story in Fort Worth, TX magazine that will have you exploring areas you never thought existed in our hometown. You just thought you had to go to Utah or Colorado to enjoy the great outdoors. And don't forget to click the links I've embedded into this post for more information.  Chisholm Trail Rides are the only OPEN trail riding experience in North Texas. Do you realize how happy this makes this thrill seeker?!? This is not your average trail ride where the horses walk at a s