Skip to main content

TCU Hosts Journalism Symposium

    Some of us didn't get enough in college, so I appreciate it when a university lets me in to soak up a little more brain juice. Last week — the seventh annual journalism symposium hosted by TCU. I heard from several organizers it was the biggest hit of them all.


“This is one of the largest crowds we’ve ever had for the symposium,” moderator Bob Schieffer said as he pulled up his pant leg and flashed his new purple boots with TCU stitched in white leather. He had bought them at Lusky’s earlier that day. The full room roared with approval of his latest purchase.

Panelists included the hosts of MSNBC’s Morning Joe, Mika Brzezinski and Joe Scarborough, founder of The Huffington Post, Ariana Huffington and FOX news’ senior political analyst, Brit Hume. Hot issues like Wall Street greed and the fate of journalism darted around the room like a boomerang.

Schieffer started the cordial quarrel. He said he’s never seen the government quite like it is right now. Hume came up to bat and said the liberals are more liberal and the conservatives more conservative. I can’t help but wonder if it's because news media has turned away from reporting and towards the game of political mudslinging. Newsflash: there is a difference between a news commentator and a news anchor.

Blurry picture of panelists. Bob Schieffer is in the middle. 
Scarborough made me happy when he said news media needs to “tone it down … this isn’t just about ratings.” He’s right. Journalists have a duty to society before shareholders' profit. Or do they? They are the Fourth Estate (fourth branch of government). They are the watchdogs of the country with a noble history of outing the corrupt. We need them to focus on the facts and not on hurling insults.

The topics changed faster than a schoolgirl does boyfriends, so forgive my poor transitions. No editor here, folks.

Next topic was the impact of social media in the Middle East. These American creations — Facebook and Twitter — are very democratic forms of media. There is no longer solely a government or corporate run media giant transmitting messages to the masses. We create the content too. Information now flows from the media consumers and giants. This gives people in authoritarian countries, like those in the Middle East, more power than they’ve ever had. They also have access to vital information that was traditionally withheld. Thus, we are witnessing the most fascinating piece of history — revolutions all over the Middle East. And Hume brought up a cool point.

“There was no leader in this revolution,” he said.

People organized themselves through new media. I wonder what user-generated media like YouTube, Facebook and Twitter will do for the world next.

The fate of journalism? Most of the panelists said they had no idea where it is going. Schieffer said we will always need good journalism, but the mediums will change. Scarborough said it will be something that doesn’t require 20 producers and editors. Journalists will need to do it all on their own. Ugh.

I thank TCU for letting a member of the community like me be involved. Stay tuned and click this link for upcoming TCU events like author of The Color Purple, Alice Walker, coming to speak. I've always enjoyed the plays there as well. Just some ideas. 

 Panelists covered more issues than I have room for in this post that were equally as fascinating. Tickets were $20 and students got in free. It was a sold out event. 


P.S. I just found out that Vision FW is hosting a Fort Worth Mayoral Candidate Forum 5-7 p.m. May 4 at the Brown Lupton Union Auditorium. Click here for more information. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Big Sky No. 2, parts 1+ 2

  By Jocelyn Tatum   I have an affinity for all things that cause me to look up — mostly trees and clouds. When I walk the dogs or go for a long run, I often trip over something because I am admiring tree limbs reaching toward the ever-changing clouds, or the way sunlight plays with both.    Komorebi is a Japanese word that doesn't have an English translation, which means the way light travels through the leaves of trees. I wonder if there is a word for the way light shines through the clouds. Fall Gallery Night 2019, I stumbled upon a magnanimous canvas of clouds with the sun piercing through. It knocked me back. I took a picture just to admire it from home but walked away knowing I would never allow myself to get it. A year later, it occurred to me that I still think about that art. The strange state of things and lots of extra time at home has encouraged me to do things I never thought possible. And I don't understand the correlation between the pandemic and my newfound imp

My Marfa 2020

By Jocelyn Tatum  I n the 12 years that I have been going to Marfa almost annually, a lot has changed. But the small-town-in-a-vast-desert charm has stayed the same. Here are a few things I always plan to do in my two days and two nights in Marfa.  First, drive. I know it seems like it is far away, and it is, but this road trip goes fast because there is no traffic headed west and away from civilization. Driving is part of the right of passage to get there. I also feel like I shed the societal sludge that builds up on my shoulders as I careen across Interstate 20.  Once you turn off onto HWY 17 in Pecos, the drive starts to transition from sulfur and pumpjacks to pure beauty. It always reminds me of my road trip though the Scottish Highlands. My thoughts change with the landscape. Again, no traffic and no crowds. A tip: when you do pass a fellow road warrior once you get into the mountains, give them the friendly L-shaped finger wave the locals do there. Even the

Spring Break Series: Open Trail Rides in the North Texas Wild

It's been a while. I've missed you all.  Since this blog started five years ago to tell you about new and adventurous things to do in and around Fort Worth, I am here to help you with some ideas in the wild outdoors of the DFW backcountry just in time for planning your Spring Break.  You don't have to travel far and empty your bank account to have an exhilarating time this Spring Break. So I will do a little series on this blog of some great ideas. And be looking for my march issue cover story in Fort Worth, TX magazine that will have you exploring areas you never thought existed in our hometown. You just thought you had to go to Utah or Colorado to enjoy the great outdoors. And don't forget to click the links I've embedded into this post for more information.  Chisholm Trail Rides are the only OPEN trail riding experience in North Texas. Do you realize how happy this makes this thrill seeker?!? This is not your average trail ride where the horses walk at a s